I have taken to making this recipe every couple of weeks, to take to my 91 year old father. It is easy and needs about 20 minutes of one’s time and Dad loves it, not only because he enjoys its sweetness but also because it reminds him of Mum and the recipes she would make. The other pudding Mum used to make was Apricots and Rice : stewed apricots with lots of syrup and plain unsalted boiled rice…
tastes of my childhood
Creamy Rice and Stewed Prunes
1 packet prunes, a spinkle of sugar and a little water. Stew prunes on gentle simmer.
600ml full cream milk, 3 tablespoons short grain rice, 3 tablespoons caster sugar (a bit too sweet for me so I use 1/5 to 2 tablespoons), a bit of butter. Combine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer and stir regularly until 3/4 liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Pour into a dish and sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon.
My sister Terese is our Dessert Queen and this is one more of her creations. A special celebration dessert, this cheesecake will more than please the gluten free-er and gluten eater alike. The base is a rice bubble (gluten free of course) and white chocolate mix which Terese also used to adorn the top. Use you favourite cheesecake filling recipe and VOILA! Here is Terese’s version.
Raspberry and White Chocolate Coconut Crunch Cheesecake
Prep: 35 mins + chilling
Cook: 5 mins
Serves: 12 – 16
- 300 g Cadbury White Chocolate Melts
- 60 g butter
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal
- ¾ cup coconut
- 750 g Philadelphia Original Block Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tabs gelatine, dissolved in ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 ½ cups cream, whipped until stiff
- 3 x 125 g punnets raspberries
- Place chocolate and butter in a bowl and place over a saucepan of gently simmering water, stirring until smooth. Combine puffed rice cereal and coconut in a bowl, then add the melted chocolate and butter and mix well.
- Line the base of a 24 cm springform pan. Evenly press half the mixture into the base and chill. Reserve remaining mixture at room temperature.
- Beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla essence with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir through the dissolved gelatine, then fold in the whipped cream.
- Scatter 1 punnet of raspberries over the base, then pour over half the cream cheese mixture. Top with another punnet of raspberries, then pour over the remaining cream cheese mixture. Lightly crumble over the reserved chocolate mixture, top with the remaining raspberries and chill for 3 – 4 hours or until set.
500 g frozen raspberries
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 limes, juiced and zested
In a food processor, process all ingredients for 5 – 6 minutes or until smooth.
Transfer mixture to a freezer container and freeze for 2 – 3 hours. Stir occasionally for a smoother sorbet.
(Recipe from the Coles Frozen Raspberry packet)
no-churn ice cream 4 ways is a delicious.com recipe although I have only made Espresso and Raspberry Honeycomb. The other two flavours are Choc-Cherry and Peach Amaretto.
If you are looking for inspiration for more gluten free recipes, try a gluten free search at delicious.com .
No Churn Ice Cream
600ml thickened cream
1 can 395 sweetened condensed milk
Using electric beaters, whisk cream and condensed milk until soft peaks forms.
Divide mixture in half and place in 2 airtight containers.
Stir flavours into each container.
Freeze overnight until firm.
2 tablespoons coffee granules, dissolved in 2 tablespoons warm water
2 tablespoons coffee liqueur
Chocolate coated coffee beans to serve
1 cup raspberries, plus extra to serve
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup crushed honeycomb, plus extra to serve