My sister Terese is our Dessert Queen and this is one more of her creations. A special celebration dessert, this cheesecake will more than please the gluten free-er and gluten eater alike. The base is a rice bubble (gluten free of course) and white chocolate mix which Terese also used to adorn the top. Use you favourite cheesecake filling recipe and VOILA! Here is Terese’s version.
Raspberry and White Chocolate Coconut Crunch Cheesecake
Prep: 35 mins + chilling
Cook: 5 mins
Serves: 12 – 16
- 300 g Cadbury White Chocolate Melts
- 60 g butter
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal
- ¾ cup coconut
- 750 g Philadelphia Original Block Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tabs gelatine, dissolved in ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 ½ cups cream, whipped until stiff
- 3 x 125 g punnets raspberries
- Place chocolate and butter in a bowl and place over a saucepan of gently simmering water, stirring until smooth. Combine puffed rice cereal and coconut in a bowl, then add the melted chocolate and butter and mix well.
- Line the base of a 24 cm springform pan. Evenly press half the mixture into the base and chill. Reserve remaining mixture at room temperature.
- Beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla essence with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir through the dissolved gelatine, then fold in the whipped cream.
- Scatter 1 punnet of raspberries over the base, then pour over half the cream cheese mixture. Top with another punnet of raspberries, then pour over the remaining cream cheese mixture. Lightly crumble over the reserved chocolate mixture, top with the remaining raspberries and chill for 3 – 4 hours or until set.
This is one of my mother’s recipe, recently revived by my sister Terese. Today we keep a fridge full of bottles: sauces, marinades, dressings and condiments but back in the day, my mother made things from scratch. Maybe we all should try to go back the simple way of cooking without all the additives and preservatives.
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 1 large sprig of parsley
- 1 large spring onion chopped
- 2 tbs sweet pickle relish
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbs white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil.
Combine all ingredients for sauce in a blender and blend for 3 to 4 mins until creamy, pour into a jug, cover and chill for 25 to 30 min. Makes 3/4 cup.
Ingredients for Salad:
- 4 medium potatoes
- 250 gr (1/2 lb) whole frozen beans
- boiling hot water
- 125 gr (1/4 lb thick bacon
- 1 medium white chopped onion
- chopped parsley
Get ingredients for salad and in separate pans of boiling water, cook potatoes and beans for 12 to 15 min. Drain potatoes, peel and slice thickly and set aside to cool. Drain beans and set aside also to cool. Meanwhile cut the bacon into small chunks and cook in pan until crisp. Lift out and drain. Heap the beans into the centre of a salad bowl and arrange potato slices around the edge. Scatter bacon and chopped onion on top. Drizzle vinaigrette sauce over the vegetables and cover and chill for 20 to 25 min. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.