I think the gluten free savvy learn to scan restaurant and cafe reviews for those precious words :GLUTEN FREE but what is more exciting about Detour in Woolloongabba Brisbane is that the kitchen will be entirely gluten free.
While the restaurant won’t be opened until 2nd January 2017, I am sure that it will be well supported by all those who must eat gluten free.
Stella Magazine published with Sunday Mail today had an article entitled Gluten Free Glee which promoted About A Boy & A Girl in Newstead and Detour in Woolloongabba. While I don’t live in Brisbane, it is promising to see establishments not just catering to allergy eaters but also highlighting an understanding of food that is suitable for those with allergies. With talk of hand pressed corn tortillas, buckwheat pancakes and sweet potato waffles, I can’t wait to visit Brisbane again. I also like the comment, “Our menu doesn’t include a paleo burger or a gluten-free burger, and there are no acai bowls” by Lanchester at About a Boy & a Girl. Here is someone who is not focussed on dietary fads and fashionable foods but on the essence of food which happens to be gluten free.
As we all know, there are many “Gluten Free Eatery” lists like Top Ten Gluten Free Eats in Melbourne, The UrbanList – Gluten Free Guide to Brisbane but the concern for the coeliac disease sufferer is that reviews are based upon what is tagged gluten free on the menu rather than a review by a “must eat gluten free otherwise I will be extremely and violently sick within 10 minutes if I eat gluten” eater.
Chelsea’s Gluten Free Guide to Brisbane and surrounds is a list verified by someone who knows. Chelsea has coeliac disease and has eaten at all of these places and never felt nervous or gotten sick from gluten. Thank you to mum Adrienne Pearson for passing this list on.
1. Alfredos in The Valley for the best gf pizza.
2. I Heart Brownies again in Fortitude Valley… all the brownies are gf and some are dairy free. So delicious.
3. Buffalo Bar in Brisbane city for the best gf wings YUM
4. Byblos restaurant at Portside Wharf Hamilton for heaps of delicious gf menu items
5. Eat Street Markets at Hamilton for the best gf donuts.
6. Gold Coast Sunday markets at the Arts Centre also great gf cinnamon donuts.
7. The Cuban Restaurant at Broad Beach for delicious gf tapas and cuban goodies. Mojitos are great!!
8. Helensvale Plaza ( the old one not Westfield) has the Old Danube Bakery outside with the best gf choc chip cookies , gf quiche, gf cheesecake, gf chocolate cake
9. Ferry Road Markets has a lot of gf snacks, gelato and especially (ironically) Flour Bakery has the best gf cakes and bread rolls.
10. there’s a french bakery at Garden City Westfield top floor, it’s french forget the name but best gf macaroons YUM!!
11. Grill’d at Harbour Town Gold Coast for gf burgers. They toast the gf buns on the grill to avoid cross contamination
12. House of Brews in Surfers Paradise has an entire gf menu and separate deep fryers for gf fires
13. Burgerd at Arundel has gf burgers soooo good.
14. Boom Boom Burgers on Chevron Gsland has gf burgers and separate deep fryer for gf fries too.!!!
15. O- Sushi has gf sushi rolls at Broadbeach and Byron
16. Miss Margaritas Mexican at Broad beach and Byron great for gf Mexican
17. Harajuku Gyoza in Brisbane has gf as well…..
18. No Do Donuts at Newstead in Brisbane is the bomb also !!!!