Tacos with a Twist
440 g can pineapple pieces in juice, drained and juice reserved
1 long red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves and extra for garnish
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
500 g pork mince
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice
8 mini gluten free corn tortillas or 8 lettuce leaf cups or 4 gluten free taco shells
Finely dice pineapple. Combine pineapple, chilli and coriander in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened.
Add garlic. Cook until fragrant.
Add the pork mince and cook for 5 – 10 minutes until cooked through.
Add sugar, tomato sauce, soy sauce and pineapple juice and cook for 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
Remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
Warm tortillas or tacos or separate lettuce leaf cups.
Assemble: pork mince, pineapple salsa and garnish with coriander.
(November 2015 : super food ideas)
If you are looking for inspiration for the 500 g mince you have on hand, then give this recipe a try.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 shallots, finely chopped
2.5 cm ginger finely grated
500 g pork mince
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 tablespoons gf soy sauce
1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
1 tablespoon kaffir lime leaves
10 cherry tomaotes diced
2 tablespoons coriander chopped
Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, shallots and ginger and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the pork and continue stir frying until golden brown.
- Add in the fish sauce, soy sauce, curry paste and lime leaves and stir fry for a further 2 minutes on high heat.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in coriander and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bed of rice vermicelli noodles or serve in a lettuce cup.